Friday, January 30, 2015

Sentinel Review: Alex

War is brewing.
The godly kind.
And I'm in the middle of it.


I'm the deciding piece in this war.

I'm the one able to stop it.

But it will come with a heavy price.

I have to choose.
The destruction of everything I hold dear.
Or the destruction of me.

My name is Alexandria Andros.
Hey all! Today, I'm Alex from the final book in the Covenant Series!

Name: Sentinel
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Convenant Series
Book status: Book 5 (final)
Setting: New York...or maybe South Dakota... Okay, I admit, I don't know. Somewhere in the US, modern day.
Genre: YA supernatural/mythology/fantasy/paranormal. Wow, that's confusing.
POV: first person, told by Alex

Reading: re-read
Favorite line: "This is everyone's fight. Because it's everyone's future."
Rating: 5 stars

Why, hello hello! How are you all? Ready to start a war? Because Alex sure is.

I'm one of those people who loves a good war at the end of a series. Don't judge; I just feel like it brings finality and proper closure to the whole good vs evil thing. Okay, so there wasn't as epic of a war here like in Lord of the Rings or something, but there still was the whole the-cavalry-is-coming-and-they're-taking-you-down aspect, which is close enough. Well, minus the horses. It's set in the modern day, so no horses.

Back to Alex. For one, she is epic. Like, she takes epicness to a whole different level. Kind of helps that she a) has been training her whole life b) controls five elements (that's five, as in five bloody elements) and c) is sort of a God Killer. Bam. If that isn't a recipe for a butt-kicking heroine, I don't know what is. She's straight out snarky, running her tongue at both appropriate and inappropriate places (inappropriate makes her funny), being brutally honest about things. Smart, snarky, and overall butt-kicking. Done.

But, like always, she isn't without flaws. I'm not going to go into the nitty gritty details of her flaws, but seeing as this is the last book of the series, it's been really nice to see the development of her character. How she's gone from being impulsive for her own kicks to being impulsive for everyone's good. She's made her peace about a lot of things, like her mom, handling stupid comments, and being used like a pawn. And I enjoyed it.

Moving on to the ending. That. Ending. Complete man-slaughtered my heart, in a good way. It was just...that ending. That's all I'm going to say, because I'm not giving out any spoilers here. But this is my, what, third time re-reading this? And every time, that ending has me. My heart just swells and ugh, the feels. The feels.

Also, words cannot describe the feeling I have for Aiden. I just...can't. Why doesn't a guy like him exist in this world? A super kind person who cares about everyone and also is freaking ninja. Like, holy crap, he can easily pummel just about anyone. Plus he wields fire. Hello? That's hot, pun intended. This guy proves that chivalry isn't dead in fictional modern day characters, though sadly, I can't say the same for the majority of the non-fictional modern day guys in the world. Sigh. But still. Gods above, Aiden is the picture of perfection. Unrealistic in the real world, but perfect. Perfect. Which is why Aiden and Alex make the most adorable couple. Adorable. Wow, I'm just parroting myself a lot here, aren't I?

Bottom line: in the event of a Greek-god-sort-of-apocalypse, call Alexandria Andros. And Aiden too. Because they make on god-killing deadly duo.

No comments:

Post a Comment