Tuesday, January 20, 2015

On the Fence Review: Charlie

I live with my dad and three brothers.
I can match them all wit for wit, sport for sport.
I'm their equal, even though I'm a girl.

One speeding ticket happens.
And I'm stuck working it off.
I end up working in a really girly store.

I'm clueless in this new world.
A world of clothes and makeup.
It's hard for me.

I spend the nights talking about this to relieve stress.
Talking to my friend and neighbor, Braden.
We're simply separated by a fence in our yards.

My name is Charlotte Reynolds.
But I like being called Charlie.
Hi guys! Today, I'm Charlie Reynolds!

Book: On The Fence
Author: Kasie West
Series: Standalone
Setting: California
POV: Charlie, first person
Genre: YA contemporary

Reading: first time
Comments: cute novel about being whisked into a world of fashion and makeup
Rating: 3 stars





Ha, not to use a bad pun, but I was actually on the fence about reading this. There are two categories of books that I have a tendency to read less: standalones and contemporary. Standalones, because I hate feeling the feeling that there will never be more. Contemporary, because I always find there's a lack of danger, lack of fear. Am I saying that I love dark, dangerous stories opposed to normal, realistic books? Yes. I'm weird. Don't judge. I like living in other worlds, okay?

Okay, back to my blog post.

Charlotte "Charlie" Reynolds. First off, I like how she's a tomboy. As in she's not one of those girls who freak out at every speck of dirt. Her relationship with her brothers has left her tough, participating in nerd gun fights, mud activities, and other contact sports. Her knowledge on girly things? Nadda. Clueless. Which is why Charlie working in a girly store is such a change for her.

Initially, her fear of being laughed at by her family for being girly has her questioning her ever move. But gradually, she becomes a little more adjusted to it. Charlie is really debating between being herself or being the girl her coworkers expect her to be. Of course, having someone to talk to (cough, Braden) helps a lot. It's kind of nice, reading about someone who has such a trust-worthy relationship with her neighbor, about having a special place to talk to. It puts a new perspective on what it means to have a fence in your backyard.

Can I also talk about her brothers? I'm going to talk about her brothers. They are awesome. Protective, yes, but overall awesome and super supportive. Though Charlie at first is afraid of them laughing at her, they don't. They just accept her, love her. They're her brothers and they're some pretty awesome brothers at that too.

This book is about stepping out of your comfort zone, of experiencing being someone you're not used to. But it's also about finding love without trading who you really are, to find someone you don't have to change to be with. Stepping out of your comfort zone is great, but if the guy you're dating only likes you when you're not in your comfort zone, well, you need a different guy. Don't succumb to peer pressure or the expectations of others; find a balance between the two, of someone who pushes you out of your comfort zone a little and still loves you even if you don't. 

Wow, listen to me. I sound like some love-expert... Don't listen to me. Just know that the person that loves you should love you for everything you are, not just one side of you.

And that pretty much is the takeaway message. For me, anyways. What about you guys? Have you read the book, or heard of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment